As the snow flurries started yet again on a freezing cold day the crowd was well warmed up with a rousing reception for the home side as they came on the park. It does have to be said there has been bigger crowds and the atmosphere has been better but still a fair number turned out despite the weather.
The home side tried to get on the front foot and managed to created chances leading to a corner or two but no early breakthrough came. As the visitors came into the game Stuart Hunter done well at the back to clear a chance and soon after Hurlford got a one on one with Andy Murphy only to put it wide of the post.
As the home side tried to push out Hurlford came back with forward play of their own and got a corner. In it came only to be cleared for another. This time the ball was swung in right on top of BU keeper Murphy who didn’t clutch it and as a scramble ensued the ball made it into the net for 1-0 Hurlford.
Just after going ahead a moment of madness from the visitors as a tackle right over the top of the ball with two feet saw a warranted straight red and the BU were left facing ten men at a goal down. The crowd spurred them forward urging for the extra man to count and a great ball swung over the box from the right was just missed by Marty Wright rushing in. Forward came the BU’s again this time good play only to be intercepted by the visitors who were now crowding the box to defend with everyone behind the ball. Finally when they did get forward a free kick was swung in but this time easily saved and held by Murphy. Even with the extra man the home side were struggling to create and only a half chance with a header came our way before the half ended
Bo’ness 0 Hurlford 1
First Half Highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFSbaLSu8MA

Into the second half and it was the Home side on the front foot first forcing a corner on the right. The corner came to nothing but soon the ball was in the box again this time a shot went past the post. The visitors counter attacked but Murphy was alert and quick off his line to smother the ball.
Forward came the BU again but the same result followed as the ball when it eventually made it to the box was easily cleared. Another chance came and went for the Home side this time the shot going wide of the far post. Forward again came the ball but the home side were making it too easy for the visitors standing off the ball making it easy to clear rather than fully attacking it with a sense of urgency.
A free kick on the left gave Callum Scott the chance to swing the ball into the box but again it went to waste. The home side urged on by the fans got the ball forward into the box only for the same result of an easy header away to follow.
The visitors made a break and as the Bo’ness midfield backed off the defence cleared for a corner which was well headed away by Hunter at the back. Forward came the BU again and this time as the ball came in the keeper was quick out to clear the ball taking a BU player and his own at the same time.
With 15 mins to play the first sub came from BU manager Stevie Kerrigan as Ryan Stevenson was replaced by Ryan Miller. Finally with 11 minutes to play Newtown Park erupted, a free kick swung in by Wright was cleared only as far as Michael Gemmell who found Wright, he cleverly stepped over the ball and played it across the box and Scott Gibb was there to smash the ball home.
The home side believed now and were spurred on by the support only to have the dream washed away again as Murphy came for a cross and caught fresh air leaving an open goal for Hurlford to head into and go 2-1 in front.
From the kick off with BU hopes looking dashed a free kick on the edge of the box was awarded. Callum Scott stood over it and curled the ball beautifully into the net to make it 2-2 and the dream was alive once again. The home side tried to push forward more and more but the visitors got a clean cut chance to win it only for the ball to be blasted high and wide. The final chance came for the Home side a great ball in but the finish wasn’t there as the ball went wide and the match ended in a 2-2 draw with a replay to come at Hurlford next week Cup dream still alive
BU 2 – 2 Hurlford

Second Half Highlights .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1wG6TJdBaI


Date Time League Season
March 17, 2018 2:30 pm Scottish Junior Cup 2017/18



Hurlford United

Marty Wright Forward
Ross Campbell Defender
Scott Gibb Defender
Stuart Hunter Defender
Michael Gemmell Midfielder
Andrew Murphy Goalkeeper
Calum Scott Midfielder
Marc Kelly Forward
Ryan Miller Forward
Ryan Stevenson Midfielder
Ryan Hoggan Defender
Allan MacKenzie Forward
Yellow Cards
Red Cards