East Region Super League

As the season end gets closer this match got underway with the Home side playing their last juniors super league game before heading to the East of Scotland league next season and the visitors started this one as their penultimate game before heading the same way.
It was a lively start with the home side looking the most dangerous and Andy Murphy in the visitors goal was called into action and made a good save to keep the score at 0-0. The visitors tried to push forward but there was no immediate threat towards the Penicuik goal. The visitors then found themselves a goal down when a poor pass went across the box and the loose ball was pounced on and sent into the net underneath Murphy trying to make the save. It was almost 2 for the Home side as they broke forward this time the defence cleared the danger.
Forward came the home side again this time with another shot on goal from the edge of the box, Murphy was there again however to make the save. Finally the visitors got a cross into the home sides box but no one was there to get on the end of it, The clearance made it to the edge of the box and the first shot on goal from the BU was hit towards goal but went past the post.
With the home side having more of the game so far they could have been further ahead than 1-0 and they were made to pay by the visitors, a good move had the ball through to Fraser Keast just inside the box with shouts to shoot he instead squared the ball to Marty Wright who took a touch and realised a shot wasn’t on so he knocked the ball into the path of Ryan Millar who made no mistake knocking the ball into the bottom corner of the net for 1-1.
The home side were quickly on the attack again this time with a blocked shot sent for a corner which in turn came to nothing. Into the last minutes of the first half and now the visitors were coming on to a game and looking dangerous, a shot from outside the box went high over the bar for Allan Mackenzie followed by good play and balls into the box.
A great effort from Millar saw him run on to a through ball and with the keeper advancing he chipped the ball over him only to then see it come back off the cross bar. Forward came the visitors again this time with a shot just wide.
Half time Penicuik 1 – 1 Bo’ness.

Into the second half and as a bit of fog descended the floodlights were used to light the park and it was soon a case of half time seemed to come at the wrong time for the visitors as after having the best spell of the game towards half time they fell 2-1 behind within a minute a goal for the Home side restoring their lead.
A change for the BU saw Marty Wright replaced by a Trialist. A shout for a penalty from the home side was waved away by the referee as Murphy in the BU goal gathered the loose ball.
The home side quickly came forward again but Stuart Hunter done well at the back and as everyone expected a corner a goal kick was given to the BU. The visitors were then on the attack and a good shot was blocked followed by the rebound being saved. The third change came this time forced upon BU manager Stevie Kerrigan as the Trialist took a head knock and had to be replaced by another Trialist.
Back to the action and it was the home side with a good ball in the box only for the resulting shot to go well over the bar. The game was settled with minutes remaining as the ball was squeezed in somehow past the defence and Murphy in the BU goal and found its way into the bottom corner for 3-1 Penicuik.
The home side were through on goal again this time offside stopped the 1 on 1 with Murphy. Into injury time and the visitors again had a good spell pressing the home sides goal and soon a goal back came as Hunter rose well to head home for 3-2. As the fog got thicker and the lights kept the park well lit the visitors desperately looked for an equaliser and a final shot on goal went well over the bar.
Full time
Penicuik Athietic 3 Bo’ness United 2


Date Time League Season
May 30, 2018 7:15 pm East Region Super League 2017/18



Bo’ness United

Andrew Murphy Goalkeeper
Jamie Shirra Midfielder
Ryan Batchelor
Ross Campbell Defender
Stuart Hunter Defender
David Gray Midfielder
Ryan Miller Forward
Marc Kelly Forward
Marty Wright Forward
Allan MacKenzie Forward
Fraser Keast Midfielder
James Rintoul Forward
Scott Ritchie Goalkeeper
Yellow Cards
Red Cards