It was a cagey start as the park was basked in winter sunshine in Kilbirnie with both teams trying to get a foothold on the game. Shouts for a booking from the away support wee ignored after a foul on Marty Wright and Scott Gibb having a good game so far for the visitors was first to see a yellow card.
The visitors managed to breakthrough on goal with Wright only to see a good save from the home keeper. The home side had a chance but a shot straight at Andy Murphy in the BU goal was well pinched clear.
The breakthrough came when Kilbirnie went down to ten men and a penalty was awarded. Up stepped Will Snowdon to smash the ball into the net for 1-0 BU. Sixteen years after doing the same for Partick Thistle against Inverness Caledonian in the Senior Scottish Cup.
There wasn’t a lot of threat coming towards the BU goal and playing out from the back the visitors were trying to make the extra man count but there wasn’t much for either keeper to do. Allan Mackenzie also saw a yellow card shown to him not long before the break. The home side had another good effort on the BU goal but Devon Jacobs was there to head the ball off the line.
Half time Kilbirnie Ladeside 0 – 1 BU.

Into the second half and the visitors started on a high Calum Scott had a good shot blocked even though if it hadn’t been the keeper should have saved it had it reached him. Then came the second goal, a good ball in was met by Stuart Hunter who headed home sending the large visiting support wild and what we believe was his 200th appearance for the BU.
Yet another attack quickly followed but the home keeper was on hand to save. Hearts were in mouths for the visitors as Mackenzie commutes another foul and already on a yellow could have easily been walking off, The referee however spoke to him looking to be saying one more and your off and the front man walked away very luckily.
The visiting fans shouted towards the bench to sub Mackenzie before the BU ended up with ten men but he was left in the action for the time being.
Calum Scott was through for the visitors next but the chance came to nothing. Then Scott again done well beating his man on the edge of the box but his low shot was an easy save for the kilbirnie keeper..Hunter saw a yellow card for a foul as the Home side finally got over the half way line in the second half. The free kick was swung in and good defending from the visitors saw it headed away for a corner. In came the corner and again good defending this time the ball was booted clear.
Snowdon done well down the wing for the BU and a yellow card was shown for a foul on the near side on the edge of the box. Smith swung it in only for the ball to be cleared for a corner which was then easily taken by the Home keeper.
More pressing from the visitors saw another two decent balls into the home sides box. The first sub for the visitors saw MacKenzie replaced by Marc Kelly.
The game was still mainly being controlled by the visitors as the clock ticked down into the final five mins. Wright saw a booking for a syndicate foul on half way and was then subbed replaced by Ryan Miller.
A good ball played through by Michael Gemmell as Kelly almost on the end of it but the home keeper was quick off his line to dive and clutch the ball from his feet on the edge of the box. A final sub for BU saw Hunter replaced by Ryan Hogan.
The home side got forward on the right but an easy save from Murphy saw no danger come from it. Now deep into injury time the BU came forwards and got another penalty. Up stepped Snowdon again this time with a confident clinical chip to make it 3-0. The home side kicked off and the referee blew for full time Kilbirnie 0 – 3 BU


Date Time League Season
February 17, 2018 2:15 pm Scottish Junior Cup 2017/18



Kilbirnie Ladeside

Ryan Stevenson Midfielder
Ryan Hoggan Defender

Bo’ness United

Allan MacKenzie Forward
Yellow Cards
Red Cards