EOS Qualifying League Cup
Bo’ness United v Leith Athletic
Newtown Park.
Wed 01/08/2018 KO 19:30..

BU Team :
Marshall, Syme, Campbell & Al-Zubadi. Jacobs, Gemmell Morgan & McDonald. Watt, Keast & MacKenzie.

The second game of the new season for the BU brought Leith Athletic to Newtown Park making them the first in a long line of new teams to visit us this season. It’s also argued that after defeat in the opening game on Saturday this was a must win game to give the BU’s a good chance of progressing from the group stages in this competition.
Into the match and it was started as yet again the rain came down with the Home side holding possession and trying to press forward. It looked like the opening goal was coming from the home side as they pressed forward constantly pressuring the visiting defence and a good shot was well parried away from the visiting keeper followed by the rebound cleared near the goal line. From the resulting corner another shot was sent goal wards again bringing the keeper into action.
Another good ball was played into the visitors box after some good passing across the midfield but no one was waiting in the box to get on the end of it.
Finally the visitors did make it into the BU half but no danger as Iain Syme cleared the ball with no drama. Again the opening goal should have came from the home side as yet more possession and chances went begging. A good ball had the visiting keeper rushing off his line and the ball was sent over the box, Running in was Allan MacKenzie who only had to touch the ball towards goal but it went agonisingly wide of the post passing the open goal.
Another shot soon made its way towards goal the visiting keeper forced to make a save again. With the home side absolutely dominating but no goals to show there was plenty of fouls as the visitors weren’t shy to lay the boots into a tackle in attempts to try and gain a bit of possession. Yet again the home side were in on goal as Fraser Keast burst through and shot from just inside the box unfortunately it was well wide. MacKenzie then done well cutting inside and beating a couple of defenders but the end shot was poor as it was scuffed straight at the keeper. Another shot made its way towards goal from the home side a deflection sending it over the bar for a corner. Finally the opening goal came a well worked move up the left finished with Josh Watt putting over a great cross and Brian Morgan rose up brilliantly and sent the header into the net off the under side of the cross bar.
BU 1 – 0 Leith.
Another chance followed this time MacKenzie saw it deflected for a corner. In it came and was cleared however the ball was quickly won back and another cross went in to be cleared for yet another corner. More good attacking gave the BU another corner this time it was well delivered and the keeper punched clear. It was then 2-0 as yet again the visitors were pressured and MacKenzie tucked the ball home when it was almost impossible to miss. BU 2 – 0 Leith.
With the home side still absolutely dominating there was one chance right on half time for the visitors but it was dealt with between the BU defence and Alex Marshall in the BU goal.
Half time BU 2 – 0 Leith Athletic.

Into the second half and it was much the same as the first with the Home side dominating play and possession with chances being created as well. Ten minutes in and it looked like a certain goal, Watt done well winning a corner and it was very well delivered, up went Ross Campbell with a great header towards goal only to see it cleared off the line. More good play from the BU this time a quick move down the left saw a great cross played in and the resulting shot was cleared yet again by the visiting defence.
Another ball soon found its way into the box and yet again the same defender for Leith cleared well as the ball had already beaten the keeper.
BU manager Stevie Kerrigan made his first change of the match when James Rintoul replaced Keast with just under half an hour to go. Marshall in the BU goal finally got a save to make all be it a routine one from a shot straight at him. Very much against the run of play and to the shock of the home fans the visitors managed to get a goal a simple ball into the box was headed towards the far post and found its way into the corner of the net. BU 2 – 1 Leith.
Morgan was next to fire a shot goal wards for the BU from outside the box but this time it was wide of the post. The second sub came for the home side when Stuart Hunter came on for Aldin El- Zubadi with now 17 minutes remaining.
Yet more possession and chances for the BU as MacKenzie had a great run down the right and cut the ball back to Morgan who saw his shot saved by the Leith keeper. Against the run of play yet again the visitors got forward and Marshall made a good save from a 1 on 1 situation, this was followed by more anguish for the watching support as the BU defence cleared the ball off the line. A game absolutely dominated by the Home side almost turned into disaster with less than 15 mins to go thankfully the score remained 2-1 and the Home side held onto a deserved lead on balance of play. The third sub came as Watt went off for Will Snowdon in what looked to be a shore it up move by manager Kegs with an attack minded player replaced by a defender. Most of the play continued with the home side as they dominated the possession still but no more chances were forth coming as the game now entered the final 5 minutes.
The ball was then played into the visiting sides box by Devon Jacobs but it was an easy take for the keeper. A quick break from the visitors saw a shot flashed over the goal but it was well off target causing no concerns for Marshall. John McDonald saw a yellow card from the referee as he booted the ball away in frustration at a free kick decision. As the game entered the final minute and the darkness began coming down thankfully the free kick came to nothing and the BU had possession yet again. A free kick on the edge of the box to the right saw BU players lining up for a shot. Morgan finally took it but the ball was well high and wide of the goal. Now two minutes over the 90 the BU got a corner. It was taken by Snowdon and headed clear for a throw in on the far side. MacKenzie held the ball up well and won a free kick. The ball was crossed in and cleared. With no more action to be played the referee ended the match
BU 2 – 1 Leith Athletic giving the BU their 1st win of the new era and the new season. Next up a trip to Oakley this coming Saturday 14:30 kick off.

Bryan Copeland
United Club


Date Time League Season
August 1, 2018 7:30 pm EOS Qualifying League 2018/19



Bo’ness United

Alex Marshall Goalkeeper
Devon Jacobs Defender
Iain Syme Defender
Aldin El-Zubaidi Defender
Ross Campbell Defender
John MacDonald Defender
Michael Gemmell Midfielder
Brian Morgan Midfielder
Allan MacKenzie Forward
Fraser Keast Midfielder
Josh Watt* Midfielder
Stuart Hunter Defender
Will Snowdon Defender
James Rintoul* Forward
Yellow Cards
Red Cards